Getting To and Around Redding


Bringing a Car into California

California has a number of laws regarding vehicles and vehicle registration.  Below is a summary, or view the full legal details

View Details

Vehicle Registration

All BSSM student vehicles must be registered in the State of California regardless of state of ownership/registration, and/or residency status of the student.

Interstate Registration

Vehicles not owned by a students (e.g., by parents) are still required to be registered.  This registration is called an interstate registration.

Emissions Testing

Smog check is required for all vehicles registered in California.

Drivers License

Foreign or out of state licenses are valid as long as you are Non-Resident.  If you take a job that requires driving, you must obtain a California Drivers licence.

Automobile Insurance

You must have insurance coverage.


Smog $50-60.  Registration – depends upon vehicle.  

Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator

Canadians & Mexicans

If you are bringing a car from canada or mexico Please read the relevant section here.

Canada & Mexico


Please phone Officer Jason Morton. California Highway Patrol (CHP) Redding Office Foreign Registration Unit Officer Jason Morton 530-225-0500.


Redding Municipal (RDD)

Daily commercial airline passenger service is provided by United Express to and from San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Redding Airport

Sacramento International (SMF)

The Sacramento International Airport is only two hours and 15 minutes from Redding, and it is very easy to drive to Redding from that airport. You only have to get on I-5 North and stay on it until you are in Redding.

Sacramento International

San Francisco International (SFO)

The San Francisco International Airport is 3.5 hours away by car. If you choose to fly there, you will need to secure separate transportation to get from San Francisco to Redding.

San Francisco International